Complete your practical legal training, and gain core legal skills in Port Macquarie!
Amidst a stunning coastline of rocky headlands and neighbouring the banks of the Hastings River estuary is the vibrant and unspoilt town of Port Macquarie. Offering a distinctive mix of heritage buildings, modern hotels and apartments, diverse dining, shopping and entertainment venues, Port Macquarie has much to offer.
Mid North Coast Community Legal Centre (MNCCLC) is seeking enthusiastic and self-motivated Practical Legal Training (PLT) students with a commitment to access to justice.
PLT Placement responsibilities include client intake, file work, legal drafting, interviewing clients, and following up client matters. PLT Placements always work under supervision of a solicitor. Most PLT Placements will also be allocated an ongoing project to move forwards on a more independent basis, although ongoing mentoring is provided.
These positions are only offered to suitable applicants subject to an interview and availability, and preference is given to applicants committing to a 15 week full time placement.
Applications must address the selection criteria and include a copy of your CV and academic transcript. Applications should preferably be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Completion of law degree and eligibility to commence the practical experience components of Practical Legal Training;
2. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to social justice;
3. Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with diverse groups and clients with significant disabilities;
4. Understanding of ethical practice issues affecting Community Legal Centres including confidentiality and conflict of interest;
5. Ability to work independently or as part of a small team.
6. Demonstrated interest in legal issues affecting communities on the Mid North Coast, for example Aboriginal communities, disability discrimination, or elder law.
MNCCLC supports EEO principles and encourages people living with a disability and people from diverse cultural backgrounds to apply. If you require some adjustment to the workplace please contact the Principal Solicitor on 6580 2111 to discuss what can be done.