Reporting to Senior Legal Counsel, you will be responsible for providing support to Boral’s diverse national businesses across all functions and Australian jurisdictions. In particular, the role has a focus on supporting the Boral Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Group on strategic projects, compliance reviews and contentious matters including regulatory investigations. You will also provide support to the Group General Counsel and senior management, and work collaboratively with other members of the Boral Legal team on a diverse range of matters.
The role would be ideal for an experienced in-house lawyer or private practice professional looking to transition to a generalist role within a dynamic team that has deep relationships throughout the business and is respected as a trusted advisor throughout the Group.
The role requires a lawyer with a depth of experience in general commercial law with the desire and ability to develop and advise on a range of areas. Experience in HSE and regulatory compliance matters will be highly regarded, but is not essential.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Advising (or assisting with the aid of external counsel, as appropriate) the Boral HSE Group on BAU matters, strategic projects and regulatory compliance issues.
· Playing a leading role in driving innovation and improvement within Boral Legal.
· Assisting in the development and presentation of legal training to Boral employees (including but not limited to competition law and contracts).
· Advising on competition law issues.
· Advising on corporate law issues.
· Drafting of precedent documents.
· Representation of Boral in commercial and legal negotiations.
· Instructing and managing external legal service providers as required.
ATTRIBUTES & SKILLS
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills including the capacity to explain in simple terms legal concepts to members of the business, including senior management and contributing to Board papers.
· Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills.
· The aptitude and willingness to learn and develop.
· The ability to work autonomously in a busy legal environment.
· Excellent judgement and the ability to assess issues that can be dealt with autonomously and issues requiring escalation.
· Commitment to contribute to and advance an outstanding and supportive culture within the Boral Legal team.
· Ability to represent the organisation confidently and competently in negotiations with external parties.
· Ability to process information and make decisions within tight timeframes.
· Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
· Advanced problem-solving skills with an ability to identify key issues quickly.
· An efficient time manager able to prioritise competing demands.
· Willingness to travel interstate if required from time to time.
· Ideally 3-4 PQE, however we are happy to consider candidates outside of this level
Each member of Boral Legal takes pride in being part of a collegial, supportive and cohesive team that shares these values:
Excellence - Responsive professionals who provide the highest standard in commercially focussed legal advice.
Trust - Trusted advisors providing a sounding board and building strong relationships.
Preserve Value - Safeguarding Boral’s business and reputation by actively managing risk.
Create Value - Commitment to implementing strategic initiatives and embracing opportunity.
Connected - Open listeners and clear communicators who strive to learn, educate and inform.
Innovate - Commitment to achieving increased quality of service for Boral’s busines